Wednesday, March 5, 2008

THE SPIRAL OF SILENCE

Comment:
‘Girls play with Dolls’
Typical Male Response: “Like duh they do!”
Typical Female Response: “How extremely Sexist!”

Comment:‘Boys Don’t Cry’
Typical Male Response: “But obviously they don’t!”
Atypical Female Response:
Yeah! That’s where I come into the picture (article, if you insist on getting technical).

Has it ever occurred to you that the debate on gender discrimination somehow tends to get limited to the Vagina Monologues? I mean, isn’t it appalling that in a patriarchal society like ours, there are no ‘Men’s cells’? Laughable? Go ahead and ‘Laugh Out Loud’! It’ll buy me time to think.
[TIME OUT!!!]

Rubbish it as another self-fulfilling prophecy; but the fact remains that since inequality against men is such an unheard-of-phenomenon, it indicates towards a set of suppressed or maybe never-raised voices. In my view, this is a serious restriction, if not __________ denial of the Fundamental Right to Speech and Expression for men. You might argue that there is no inequality against men and hence there has been no objection to the same. Aha! There’s the catch, the missing word is ‘indirect’…

Chuck all that! We’ll get back to it later. Right now we have with us a very special celebrity guest. Allow me to introduce to you, Mr. Alpha Male. Tall, Dark and Handsome… Oops! I mean Big, Strong and Burly. Not to mention HUGE ego (fed by society, of course) Mr. Alpha Male is known to all!
Interviewer: “Mr. Alpha Male, Are you comfortable crying in public?” (Uh-Oh!)
Mr. Alpha Male: “I don’t. Cry. Period. Not in private. Not in public. Ek baar pooch liya, ab dobara mat poochhna!”

Ahem! Ahem! So there you go… Mr. Alpha Male doesn’t cry! Crying is, but obviously, a sign of weakness. Mr. Alpha Male isn’t weak (shame on me, to suggest something so preposterous). Mr. Alpha Male symbolises ‘Endurance’. [I wonder, how would Mr. Alpha Male look 8 months pregnant?]

Now, Mr. Alpha Male is very considerate. He realises that he must teach his ‘lesser counter-parts, arre baba Females, ‘Endurance’. Let’s take a sneak peek into Mr. Alpha Male’s daily routine:Mr. Alpha Male works very hard all day long (with all sorts of ‘elements’).

Tedious Work = Tension/Pressure
Tension/Pressure = Frustration
No crying = No outlet for frustrationNo outlet for frustration = Aggression
Aggression = Wife Beating, Rape, Other forms of torture
Wife Beating, Rape, Other forms of torture = ‘Endurance’
[Hence Proved.]

I thank God that I’m a woman.I thank society I’m allowed to cry.Otherwise, God only knows how I would last in society.

2 comments:

Natansh Verma said...

Umm... Alpha Males are a myth.

Amen. said...

I'm GLAD to hear that! Gladder than you can imagine...